This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ASTON BY SUTTON C.P. ASTON LANE SJ 57 NE South Side 3/51 Gates, plinths and railings at Top Lodge to former Aston Hall.
GV II Gates, plinths and railings at gatelodge (q.v.), probably 1790 s, attributed to Samuel Wyatt. 7 piers and plinths of sandstone; wrought iron gates and railings. 2 piers left of Lodge; plinth in projecting semicircle in front of Lodge; double carriage gates and piers with foot-gate and pier to each side; damaged rail on plinth forms quadrant with end pier right of gates. Plinth has camber-topped coping; piers, monolithic up to cornice base, have moulded plinths, a recessed panel in each face and moulded cornices. The gates have plain dogbars between bottom rail and lock rail with acanthus finials above lockrail; ornate finials to main bars. The railing right of gates has finials removed; that left of gates is removed. Samuel Wyatt was employed on the estate around the time (1793) that Humphrey Repton replanned the park.
Listing NGR: SJ5599278245
© Mr Keith Walker. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Walker, Keith
Rights Holder: Walker, Keith
Sandstone, Wrought Iron, Georgian Gate, Unassigned, Gate Pier, Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Railings