This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 2490 HENDON LANE, N3
31-/18/10312 Monument to Major Cartwright in St Mary-at-Finchley Churchyard
Church monument to Major John Cartwright (1740-1824). Obelisk. Erected 1835 and paid for by public subscription. Yellow oolitic limestone. Square tapering obelisk with armorial and portrait roundels on front, above armorial shield. Inscriptions on east and south sides. Set within damaged kerb with some surviving railings. Cartwright (1740-1824) was a leading Radical of the period 1775-1824 and was known by the title of the 'Father of Reform'. He founded the Society for Constitutional Information and published numerous works advocating Universal Suffrage. The monument was erected in 1835 and paid for by public subscription (The Mirror, 19 December 1835). Full inscription (no longer legible) given in Barnet Press and Finchley Borough News, 13 April 1935.
Listing NGR: TQ2490090512
© Mr Adam Watson. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Watson, Adam
Rights Holder: Watson, Adam
Oolitic Limestone, Georgian Obelisk, Victorian Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Ornament, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative