Former Church Of St Paul (Now Red Rose Radio)

Date:
30 Jun 2004
Location:
Former Church Of St Paul (Now Red Rose Radio), St Pauls Square, Preston, Lancashire
Reference:
IOE01/07794/14
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

PRESTON

SD5429NW ST PAUL'S SQUARE 941-1/10/265 former Church of St Paul (now 28/03/77 Redrose Radio)

II

Church, now local radio station. 1823-5, Thomas Rickman and Hutchinson; enlarged and renovated 1882; altered. Sandstone ashlar; roof now tiled. Early English style, with lancet windows throughout. Rectangular plan under 3-span roof, plus chancel and attached offices. The nave is embraced by full-height aisles, forming a tripartite west front with a gabled centre framed by octagonal turrets, and narrow parapeted side pieces with diagonal buttresses. The centre has at ground floor a 3-bay arcade of 2-centred blank arches with hoodmoulds which have figured stops, a chamfered window in each arch, 3 stepped lancets above with linked hoodmoulds run out as an impost band, a small circular window above these, and a parapeted gable with apex cross. The flanking turrets have tall and very slender open arcading, cornices, and embattled caps surmounted by tall pinnacles with carved quatrefoil finials. Each side piece has one tall lancet with a hoodmould, and a parapet and shallow hipped roof. The 7-bay sides have buttresses, a 2-centred arched doorway in the 1st bay with a window above, and tall coupled lancets in the other bays, all these openings with hoodmoulds which have figured and foliated stops. The 2-bay chancel (altered as garage at ground floor) has an east window of 3 tall stepped lancets with foliated shafts, and pinnacles like those at the front; and flanking one-bay offices in similar style. INTERIOR: remodelled but retains aisle arcades of very tall slender clustered shafts with moulded caps and roll-moulded 2-centred arches, and at ground floor of west end a 3-bay arcade of polished columns with carved foliated caps.

Listing NGR: SD5434029789

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1795 IOE Records taken by Ian Scott; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Ian Scott. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Scott, Ian

Rights Holder: Scott, Ian

Keywords

Ashlar, Sandstone, Tile, Georgian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Radio Broadcasting Studio, Communications, Telecommunication Structure, Radio Station, Telecommunication Building