This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD5429NW ST IGNATIUS SQUARE 941-1/10/258 St Ignatius Presbytery
Presbytery to church of St Ignatius. c.1835-40 (probably by J.J.Scoles), with addition dated 1878 on gable. Red brick in Flemish bond, with sandstone dressings and slate roof. Irregular plan formed by original rectangular double-depth range (now attached to enlarged chancel of church), with added crosswing and further side range to left. Tudor style. All 2 storeys, with octagonal corner turrets, a string-course over the 1st-floor windows, and parapet with stone coping. The main range (the original building), a 3-window symmetrical facade, has a central porch with coupled corner pilasters, Tudor-arched outer doorway and Tudor-arched single-light windows in the side walls, embattled parapet and glazed roof; Tudor-arched 2-light mullioned windows with stone surrounds; and similar windows in the right-hand gable wall, plus an added canted bay in matching style. The wing projecting to the left is in matching style, with one window on each floor of each side and an arched tympanum in the gable with letters "IHS" in a radiant sun and date 1878 in the corners; and the 2-window range set back to the left of this has an inserted garage entry but otherwise matching windows. Rear very plain. INTERIOR not inspected. Forms group with with attached school in matching style, and with church (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SD5415029952
© Mr Ian Scott. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Scott, Ian
Rights Holder: Scott, Ian
Brick, Sandstone, Slate, Georgian Priests House, Victorian Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling