1-3 Church Street

Date:
27 Jun 2002
Location:
1-3 Church Street, Wigton, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7 9NJ
Reference:
IOE01/07810/02
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

Ny 2548 WIGTON CHURCH STREET (North side) Wigton

Nos 1-3 (consecutive)

G.V. II

Almshouses, now 3 private houses. Dated and inscribed in Latin (now very weathered) which translates JOHN THOMLINSON ASSISTED BY HIS BROTHER ROBERT PROVIDED PENSIONS AND ERECTED THIS MATRONS' COLLEGE AD 1723. Early C19 alterations. Painted render over red sandstone rubble, with painted quoins, on chamfered plinth. Welsh slate roof; C20 brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys, with a total of 8 bays. Three C20 doors in painted chamfered C19 surrounds with shaped lintels, one with square head, all under hood moulds. Single-pane sash windows in C19 painted chamfered surrounds under hood moulds. Built to house 6 widows of clergy; each had 3 rooms and an annual pension of 9. Sold by the Charity Commissioners in 1884. See, T.W. Carrick, History of Wigton, 1949, pp22-3. Has G.V. with Church of St Mary.

Listing NGR: NY2558848299

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1630 IOE Records taken by Geoff Prestwich; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Geoff Prestwich. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Prestwich, Geoff

Rights Holder: Prestwich, Geoff

Keywords

Render, Rubble, Sandstone, Welsh Slate, Stuart Almshouse, Georgian Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Domestic, Residential Building, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, House, Monument (By Form), Dwelling