This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NY4055NW THE CRESCENT 671-1/12/107 (North side) 13/11/72 Statue of Earl of Lonsdale
Statue. 1846 for the subscribers, signed M.L.WATSON, SCULPTOR.
Calciferous sandstone base, plinth and shaft; white marble figure. Rusticated square base and plinth; shaft inscribed at front in six lines WILLIAM EARL OF LONSDALE, LORD LIEUTENANT OF CUMBERLAND AND WESTMORLAND FROM 1802 TO 1844. Larger-than-life figure dressed in robe and costume of the Order of the Garter. A competition for the statue was held in 1845. Its original location was in English Street between the Courthouses, where the foundation stone was laid in 1846, but because of a dispute it was not erected until a year later, (see Carlisle Journal 1845, 6 and 7). A photograph of the statue being moved on 25 July 1929 is in Cumberland News, 19 September 1986. It was placed in its present location in the Courthouse Gardens in 1930. For an illustration of the statue and details of the sculptor, see Marshall Hall (1979). (Carlisle Journal: 8 March 1845; Carlisle Journal: 24 October 1846; Carlisle Journal: 13 August 1847; Cumberland News: 19 September 1986; Marshall Hall: The Artists of Cumbria: 1979-: P.93).
Listing NGR: NY4026555654
© Mr Dennis Balmer. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Balmer, Dennis
Rights Holder: Balmer, Dennis
Marble, Sandstone, Victorian Statue, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Sculpture, Garden Ornament, Street Furniture