This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NY 3259 BURGH BY SANDS Burgh by Sands
13/46 The Old Vicarage
Vicarage and stable, now private house. Circa 1685 with extension c1734; late C18 and Early C19 alterations. Whitewashed clay walls on large footing stones, extension of brick and cobbles; graduated sandstone slate roof, whitewashed brick chimney stacks. Original house 2 storeys, 2 bays of cruck construction, higher extension of 2 storeys, 2 bays. Street facade: original house left has ground floor casement window with C19 oriel 2-pane sash window above. Small upper-floor glazed opening to left has external wooden shutter; this was originally the stable end. End wall collapsed in 1978 and has been rebuilt.
Extension has sash windows with glazing bars, painted stone sills. End wall has pointed cast-iron casement with intersecting glazing bars, similar window above. 2 false pointed moulded arches, are explained by this wall facing the churchyard, so this would give the illusion of part of a ruined church. Rear wall has outshut with C20 porch, C20 door and windows. Interior of clay house has 2 pairs of full crucks. Before 1685 the vicar lived in the tower at the east end of the church which was described in 1703 as being ruinous.
Listing NGR: NY3289659127
© Mr John Wright. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Wright, John
Rights Holder: Wright, John
Brick, Clay, Cobble, Sandstone, Timber, Stuart Vicarage, Georgian Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Stable, Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Transport, Monument <By Form>, Cruck House, Timber Framed House, Timber Framed Building