This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SU 64 NE HERRIARD HERRIARD 16/60 26.4.57 Church of St Mary
C13, 1876 (restoration by Colston). Chancel and nave of the early period (Early English), of which the chancel and south wall of the nave substantially survives.
North aisle (and arcade), vestry, west tower and boiler house were added at the restoration of 1876, when the whole was renovated. The chancel has lancets, enriched inside by roll mouldings, and a Perpendicular east window, the wide chancel arch of several stages is mainly 1876 with an outer band of old dog-tooth ornament. The south wall of the nave ends in flat stone buttresses, and has 2 lancets and 2 Perpendicular windows. The north aisle of 3 bays has small coupled lancets, and octagonal columns to the arcade. The tower has 3 stages, flat corner buttresses, west window, and a plain stone parapet on corbels. Tile roof walling in flint with stone dressings, and stone pieces in the older walling. Apart from Victorian Fittings, part of the Jacobean pew is arranged as a screen for the organ.
Listing NGR: SU6708045680
© Mr Charles Cordy-Simpson. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cordy-Simpson, Charles
Rights Holder: Cordy-Simpson, Charles
Flint, Stone, Tile, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship