Tottlebank Baptist Chapel

Date:
21 Jul 2002
Location:
Tottlebank Baptist Chapel, Colton, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12 8HU
Reference:
IOE01/07854/11
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

COLTON GREENODD SD 38 SW 9/49 Tottlebank Baptist 25.3.70 Chapel

II

Chapel. c.1750 with C19 alterations and additions. Roughcast stone with slate roof. One storey, 7 bays. 1st 2 bays are schoolroom of 1864, end bay is vestry. Segmental-headed windows have small-paned glazing with coloured glass margin lights. Segmental-headed entrances between 2nd and 3rd bays and 6th and 7th bays have paired 2-panel doors. Gable-end stack to right hand end; roof hipped to left hand end. Rear has 2-bay gabled transept to chapel and gabled wing with stack to schoolroom. Interior has C19 pulpit and altar rail with turned balusters to centre of wall opposite transept; C19 pews, those to transept on slope. Congregation formed in 1669 making it the oldest Baptist church in the historic county of Lancashire.

Listing NGR: SD3144484498

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1647 IOE Records taken by Richard Quirk; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Richard Quirk. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Quirk, Richard

Rights Holder: Quirk, Richard

Keywords

Roughcast, Slate, Stone, Stuart Baptist Chapel, Georgian Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Schoolroom, Education