Elim Pentecostal Church And Attatched Gate

Date:
14 Jul 2002
Location:
Elim Pentecostal Church And Attatched Gate, Milford Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1 2AN
Reference:
IOE01/07926/15
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

The following building shall be included in the list:

SALISBURY MILFORD STREET SU 1429 NE (south side) 4/525 Elim Pentecostal Church and attached gate

GV II

Methodist church, now Elim Pentecostal Church and attached gate. 1896. Red brick with terracotta and ashlar dressings, part painted; Welsh slate roof; iron gate.

2-storey street elevation; 4 x 7 bays (1:5:1), gable end to street, having single- storey 1-bay deep entrance vestibule at north end, U-shaped raking gallery to body of church and 1-bay organ chamber at south end flanked by lower service rooms.

Street (entrance) elevation:- 1:2:1 bays, central bays taller and pedimented with paired doorways in projecting surround. Windows have leaded glazing and coloured glass on 1st floor. Plinth. Ground floor rusticated below impost string. Stone steps upto panelled double doors with 2-pane fanlights, in reveals with keyed archivolts on flowery-capitaled columns. Outer bays have keyed round-arched recesses with round-arched windows in ashlar architraves with bracketed sills.

Decorative terracotta spandrels. Cornice. Balustrade over centre bays. First floor: corniced band; ashlar pilasters with decorative capitals between bays.

Central bays have paired round-arched windows, each of 2 arched lights with central colonette and roundel over; keyed archivolts on clustered pilasters; impost band.

Outer bays have cross windows in corniced eaved and shouldered architraves. Dentil cornice. Balustrade over outer bays linked by decorative brackets to central corniced pediment which has decorated, dated terracotta panel to tympanum and ball finials. On right, attached gateway has panelled and knob-finialled piers and decorative ironwork to double gate. Returns: front bay projects and is in same style as front; other bays plainer, defined by offset pilaster buttresses and each with tall, round-arched, traceried window with coloured glass, in full-height round-arched recess; continuous hoodmould; moulded eaves. Lower rear bay has paired round-arched lights to organ chamber and 4-panel door in lower outshut; stepped dentilled eaves. Interior: entrance vestibule has coloured tile floor, coloured glass to doors and overlights, stairs up to gallery. Body of church: leafy-capitaled iron columns support gallery, the front of which has raised and fielded panels and decorative iron panels. At south end, altar rail on decorative iron support; steps with decorative iron balustrades up to decorative pulpit; choir stalls behind fronted as gallery; proscenium arch with archivolt on plain-capitaled piers flanked by full-height pilasters and paired fluted brackets. Coved coffered ceiling. Original piers; panelled organ case; panelled doors. The church is a significant element in the street and is important in retaining its fine interior.

Listing NGR: SU1467329912

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/2214 IOE Records taken by Linda Wilkinson; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mrs Linda Wilkinson. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wilkinson, Linda

Rights Holder: Wilkinson, Linda

Keywords

Brick, Stone, Terracotta, Welsh Slate, Victorian Methodist Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site