This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SU 35 SW TANGLEY TANGLEY
4/4 Church of St. Thomas of Canterbury
Parish church. Of early medieval origin, mainly a rebuild of 1875 to the design of William White, with a western tower of 1898. Single cell, with a small apse (on old foundations), a north transept, north vestry at the west end, and south porch. Plain tile roof overall, with a lower apse roof of 5 hips above a semi-circular eaves. The walls are of coarse flints with 2 thin horizontal bands of tiles, stone chequer pattern in the upper part of the apse, stone dressings; buttresses, plinth, coupled windows (one triple) with cusping and plate tracery, and 2 very small apse windows. The east gable (an early fragment) has a coupled opening with round arches on simple impost blocks of early Romanesque form. The tower is of stone, with flat corner buttresses, an octagonal stair turret at the south-west corner, and a shingled broach spire.
Within, the church is plain: in the apse the south window is set within a 2-arched arcade; the chancel arch (in the very thick east wall) is pointed, with impost blocks, the tower arch has many mouldings, merging with the jamb, the inner mouldings finishing on carved brackets. The chief feature of the church is a lead font (probably early C17), being a tub on a C20 fluted wooden base, and having raised cast ornament, of fleur-de-lys, thistle and rose.
Listing NGR: SP3341052448
© Miss Nicola De Gruchy. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: De Gruchy, Nicola
Rights Holder: De Gruchy, Nicola
Flint, Stone, Tile, Roman Parish Church, Early Medieval Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.