Old Church Of St Matthew Under Lightcliffe / Tower To Old Church Of St Matthew

Date:
23 Jan 2003
Location:
Old Church Of St Matthew Under Lightcliffe, Brighouse, Calderdale, West Yorkshire, HD6 1QL
Show all locations
Tower To Old Church Of St Matthew, Wakefield Road, Brighouse, Calderdale, West Yorkshire, HD6 1QL
Reference:
IOE01/10051/28
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

BRIGHOUSE WAKEFIELD ROAD, LIGHTCLIFFE SE 12 NW (north side) 1/190 Tower to Old Church of St. Matthew (formerly listed as Old Church 3.1.67 of St Matthew under Lightcliffe) ) II

Tower to former church 1775 by William Mallinson (Halifax). Hammer-dressed stone, with ashlar dressings of square section, sheer to the crown which bears an octagonal arcaded cupola with ball finial. There is a round headed window to the ground floor with circular opening above. In the belfry is stone taken from an earlier church on this site inscribed: 'Deo et Sancto Mattaeo Apostolo Evangelistae Martyri Sacra A. O. DC XXIX D. Wilding, A History of Two Lightcliffe Chapels, Centenary booklet 1979.

N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (London 1967), p.642. D. Nortcliffe, Buildings of Brighouse (Brighouse 1978), p.17. Illustrated in G. Hepworth, Brighouse its scenery and antiquities (Halifax 1885), p.19.

Listing NGR: SE1398025369

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/2251 IOE Records taken by Nigel Wood; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Nigel Wood. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, Nigel

Rights Holder: Wood, Nigel

Keywords

Ashlar, Stone, Georgian Tower, Unassigned, Building