This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
COLLINGBOURNE KINGSTON A338 SU 25 NW (east side) 4/152 Church of St Mary 27.5.64 II* Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1861 by Colson.
Flint with dispersed greensand and some sarsen. West tower rendered, with limestone buttresses and dressings, slate roofs but tiled to chancel. Nave with late C13 chancel, north and south aisles. C15 south porch. Aisles have C19 square headed windows, and C19 varied cinquefoiled lights to clerestorey of nave. Chancel has Y-tracery, 2-light to sides, and tall 3-light to east. Blocked late C13 window at east end of south side. South priest's door.
Tower of 3 stages, angle buttresses. Four centred west door with quatrefoils in spandrels and shields to dropped ends of label.
Three-light window with panelled tracery over and 3-light louvred openings to bell stage. Crenellated parapet with crowned pinnacles. Porch has outer door framed in small buttresses and a crenellated string. Inscribed stone in low pitched gable. Four centred inner door with casement mouldings and square head. Corbel over. Two mass dials on south-east nave quoins, one square.
Interior: C12 nave, probably originally shorter, and chancel.
North aisle added late C12, nave lengthened and south aisle added early C13 and chancel rebuilt in late C13, leaving blank north wall of extension, later opened up with wide arch extending aisle in C14. Nave north arcade of 2 bays; double chamfered pointed arched on round columns with late C12 octagonal abaci. Wide east arch. South arcade of 4 bays, early C13, double chamfered arches on round columns and round abaci. North wall has external corbel table under roof of aisle, south wall probably rebuilt when aisle added, and both walls raised in C18 to give clerestorey, remodelled C19. C19 roof of 6 bays. King post and strut trusses. Narrow tall tower arch. C19 chancel arch in classic C13 style, with Purbeck nook shafts. North aisle has western lancet and north door. C19 roofs to both aisles. Chancel wide, but C19 open timber roof with tie-beam truss. No piscina or aumbrey. Fittings: Font, at west end, C19 Bath stone. Octagonal. Pulpit, choir stalls and communion rail all C19. Monuments: In chancel, south side: a) A large monument of 1646. Painted stone. Two bays of Corinthian columns with entablature supporting coffered barrel vault. Attic storey of lesser Corinthian columns and framed inscription. Square crest bearing mantled arms and scroll supports. Lower bays at east and west ends with raised parapets over the lower storey cornice, and supporting oval shields.
Within a sarcophagus with effigies of Thomas Pile de Bufton and wife Elizabeth,, in dress armour and ruffs. Two kneeling male offspring at side, and in the west bay, kneeling life-size figures of Sir Gabriel Pile and wife, Anne Porter, c1620.
b) North side: monument carried on arch across corner of chancel. A sarcophagus with bust on pedestal over, against pyramidal field. Cornice and apron below with inscription to Edward Richards of Compton, Berks, died 1728.
c) Recessed wall monument. An aedicule of coloured marbles.
Arch with broken pediment, shield above, and death's head on corner. Apron with inscription to Gertrude Pile, died 1630.
Kneeling figure in front of reading desk. Also two floor slabs to Richards family of 'Insula Victis', 1677 and 2 others.
d) Alabaster on black marble. To Herbert Gibson, died 1920, and family.
In nave: wall tablet, white marble on grey, to Harriet Sheppard, died 1845 and a second, similar, to William Sheppard, died 1838, and others. In north aisle: a wall monument, painted limestone with moulded frame. Long inscription to Elizabeth Parsons, and Ann, died 1620.
Brasses: below carpet, a brass to Joan Darell, 1495, her spouse removed. Glass: east window by H. Hughes, 1865. East window of north aisle signed HW.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire, Leete-Hodge, Brasses of Wiltshire, (1977), p.13.)
Listing NGR: SU2391355840
© Mr John Rendle. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Rendle, John
Rights Holder: Rendle, John
Flint, Limestone, Render, Sandstone, Sarsen Stone, Slate, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Wall Monument, Anglican Church
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.