This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
STANDLAKE SP40SW 11/246 Gaunt House 12/09/55
House. Early C17, with earlier (possibly late medieval) origins; C18 and later alterations. Coursed limestone rubble; hipped roof, surmounted by reset carved figure, of stone slates to front and concrete tiles to rear; stone ridge stack to left, and large offset rear lateral stone stack. 2-storey hall range with flanking cross wings which enclose 3 sides of rear courtyard. 2 storeys; 5-window range. Early C17 chamfered stone doorway, with 4-centred arch and chamfered imposts, to right of central hall range: ancient studded door of lapped planks with strap hinges. Concrete lintels over C18 three-light leaded first-floor casements, and C19 transomed 3-light windows with runners to iron opening lights; outshut and timber lintels over C20 casements to right of door.
Rear right wing has stone end stack and outshut, Rear left wing has early C17 outshut to right; left side wall, 3-window range, has C18 leaded casements and C19 transomed windows; also, hood moulds over early C17 three-light window with C20 mullions, and chamfered light above C17 plank door set in hollow-chamfered architrave with basket arch. Interior: hall has early C17 chamfered arched fireplace, and C18 collar-truss with staggered butt purlins also over right wing, Left wing: chamfered and moulded stone arched fireplaces and C17 ribbed doors; ground-floor room to rear of stack has plastered beam with lozenge and floral decoration, and first-floor room above has plastered beam with stencilled decoration; collar-truss roof with butt purlins; newel stairs in outshut to right. Rear right wing has queen-post truss with windbraces, clasped purlins and mortices for bracing. The cross wings were gabled to the front before the hall was re-roofed in the C18. Two jowled posts of heavy scantling in right wall of left wing have mortices for large braces and are part of a former, possibly late medieval, hall and cross wing. Gaunt House occupies a medieval moated site. It was owned by Dr. John Fell of Oxford, a staunch Royalist who gave the house to the King's Army as a base for the garrison securing New Bridge (q.v.) in 1643-5: it was later attacked and taken by the Parliamentarians.
(J. Skelton, Antiquities of Oxfordshire, 1823, fol.13r).
Listing NGR: SP4072903234
© Mr Malcolm Osman. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Osman, Malcolm
Rights Holder: Osman, Malcolm
Concrete, Limestone, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Medieval Moat, Tudor Domestic, Elizabethan Water Supply And Drainage, House, Monument (By Form), Dwelling, Courtyard, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.