This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SALTON VILLAGE SE 77 NW 6/70 Church of St John of Beverley 14.7.55
Church. Early C12 nave and chancel; north wall rebuilt and tower added in late C12 following a Scottish raid; early C13 tower arch. Restoration of 1881 when tower was buttressed, crenellated and re-roofed, porch rebuilt, chancel roof raised and east end rebuilt. Squared sandstone with porch of sandstone and reused chancel timbers; tiled roofs to nave, chancel and porch; lead roof to tower. West tower, 5-bay nave and south porch, chancel.
2-stage tower with clasping buttresses, the south-west one housing the stair. North and south lancets to the lower stage, and C19 three-light west window with panel tracery. Louvred bell-openings recessed beneath round arches on nook-shafts. Continuous string course below bell-openings; corbel table below crenellated parapet. Pyramidal cap surmounted by filigree cross. Gabled south porch contains fine round-arched doorway of 2 orders, the inner with a double band of beak-heads continuing down the responds.
Outer order of radial masks on renewed shafts. Renewed 2-light window to west, and 3 lancets, of early and late C12, to east. Offset angle buttress at west end and 2 pilaster buttresses to east. Nave north wall has plain round-arched doorway and 5 lancets. Chancel has chevron-moulded, round- arched priest's door with imposts, one with traces of dogtooth moulding.
Lancet with incised lintel to east. Later lancets with hoodmoulds at each end. North wall has 2 lancets with incised lintels and one lancet with hoodmould. Nave and chancel have mask corbel table, renewed in places. C19 east window of 3 lights with panel tracery. Coped gables and gable crosses to nave and chancel. Interior: pointed tower arch of 2 chamfered orders on triple responds with tall bases and plain capitals beneath hoodmould. Round chancel arch of 2 orders of chevron moulding, on triple responds with scalloped capitals and cable-moulded necking. Hoodmould of alternating pellets and pomegranates. C13 iron-bound muniment chest with C17 panelled cover. C17 altar table; pulpit and lectern incorporate C17 carved panels.
Monuments. Nave north wall:- to John and Mary Dowker (d1816 and 1820 respectively), by Bennett and Flintoft of York. Nave south wall:- to George Woodcock Dowker (d1835) and his son, Henry Thomas (d1814, aged 7), probably by the same masons.
Listing NGR: SE7163679971
© Mr David H. Garbutt. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Garbutt, David H.
Rights Holder: Garbutt, David H.
Lead, Sandstone, Tile, Timber, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.