This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST4409 NORTH STREET 876-1/7/146 Baptist Church and attached walls, 06/09/74 railings, gates and gate piers (Formerly Listed as: NORTH STREET (West side) Baptist Church. Manse attached to south of Baptist Church Forecourt railings)
Baptist Chapel, 1820, enlarged 1830, present facade is dated 1880. MATERIALS: coursed and squared limestone with Ham Hill stone quoins, pilasters, doorcases, pediments and plinth; hipped slate roof. PLAN: square plan with a 2-storey schoolroom behind and 2 late C19 rear wings which have segmental arches to cream brick architraves; a connecting toilet range completes a small courtyard. EXTERIOR: single-storey; symmetrical 5-window range. 3 tall round-arched windows with margin panes and articulated by shallow pilasters, fill a stepped-forward pedimented gable with a moulded cornice and antefixae; the tympanum has raised letters -1880- NORTH STREET CHAPEL. The double 2-panel doors to the outer bays are set in similar but smaller projecting pedimented porches, the pilasters of which are tapered; windows above are similar but much shorter than those to the centre. To the rear is a lower schoolroom range; to the left is the manse (qv). INTERIOR: has late C19 pews and is surrounded by tongued-and-grooved matchboarding below the dado rail. The front of the gallery, curved at the corners and bracketed out over cast-iron columns, is fretted and panelled. The pulpit against the rear wall has cast-iron ornamental balusters to the front and to the flanking stairs which have fretted ends, chamfered newels with ball finials and panelling below. The organ in the rear left corner of the ground floor, has painted ornament on the pipes. Simple coved ceiling to schoolroom. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached to the schoolroom, to the rear right, is a rubblestone right-flank wall with gate piers to the centre. Fronting the chapel and manse (qv) are spearhead railings on an off-set Ham Hill stone plinth, with a matching gate with long/short railings and across to the base. Supporting the gate, and to the sides, are stone piers, panelled to the sides of the domed caps, and with panelled shafts. The right-hand pier fronts a long rubblestone wall extending back to the school room, with gate piers to the the middle. HISTORY: Pulman states that the chapel was built in 1820 and enlarged in 1830 with " 3 galleries, in one of which is an organ, and will seat about four hundred and fifty adults. A school room behind, built only a few years since, is one of the best rooms in the town. To this is attached a wing, used on Sundays as an infant schoolroom." (Pulman GPR: The Book of The Axe: Kingsmead Reprints Bath: 1875-1969: P.330).
Listing NGR: ST4407809990
This is part of the Series: IOE01/0304 IOE Records taken by Judie Burman; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
© Mrs Judie Burman. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Burman, Judie
Rights Holder: Burman, Judie
Ham Hill Stone, Limestone, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Georgian Gate, Unassigned, Gate Pier, Wall, Monument (By Form), Barrier, Courtyard, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Baptist Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Railings, Schoolroom, Education, Toilet, Water Supply And Drainage, Water Disposal Site