This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
In the entry for: MARCHWOOD MAIN ROAD SU 31 SE 5/2 Church of St John The Apostle GV II the serial number shall be amended to read: 5/39
MARCHWOOD MAIN ROAD SU 31 SE 5/2 Church of St John The Apostle GV II
Parish church. 1847 by J Derick, repaired after 1945. Yellow brick with stone dressings, slate roof. Plan of chancel, nave with gabled transepts and south aisles with south-west tower. Disproportionately tall church in style between that of commissioners and Ecclesiological Early English. Externally, at east chancel of 2 bays with angle buttresses on corners and flat buttresses between bays, all with sloping at string level. Triple lancet with label and quatrefoil in gable to east. Kneelered gable wall with cross. Lancet with label in each bay. Machicolated eaves. To north-west bay low gabled vestry built out of north transept, with large diagonally set corner stack and rectangular lancet on each face. Nave has east kneelered gable wall with cross. Short north and longer south transepts have angle buttresses with sloping steps at level of sill string. Kneelered gable wall and triple lancet with label. South transept has each side paired lancet with label. Nave has to north 4 bays with flat buttress between them, having step at level of sill level string. In each bay paired lancet with label, except single lancet to narrower west bay. To south lean-to aisle of 2 bays with paired lancet in each and flatbuttress between. West end of nave has angle buttress to north corner. 2-order pointed west door with label. Large 2-light plate tracery west window with quatrefoil in head and label. Quatrefoil in gable and kneelered gable wall. South-west tower of 3 stages with broach spire.
Large clasping corner buttresses which step with stages. 2 south buttresses have setback buttresses up to 2nd stage. North-west buttress has square-section, pyramid roofed stair tower up to 2nd stage. Lowest stage has pointed 2-order south door and tall lancet to west. 2nd stage has rectangular lancet to east and west and lancet in gablet to south. Blind pointed arcade around top of stage on all faces with unequal trefoiled arches to south. Top stage has plate tracery 2-light bell opening. Machicolated eaves. Stone spire with gablet on each face.
Inside scale is grand, but detailing oversized and heavy. Fittings all C19 originals Font copy of Tournai marble font in Winchester Cathedral. Stained glass in east window Pevsner; Buildings of England; Hampshire; 1966; p 329.
Listing NGR: SU3839410170
© Mr Alec Howard. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Howard, Alec
Rights Holder: Howard, Alec
Brick, Slate, Stone, Victorian Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.