This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. B.5068 (north side) SJ 33 NW 3/86 Pentre Morgan - - II* Farmhouse. Dated 1668 (on staircase) for Morgan and Deborah Wynn on site of earlier building; later additions and alterations. Red brick (random bond) with rusticated stone angle quoins and plain floor band; chamfered plinth with stone coping. Slate roof has coped verges on carved stone kneelers with ball finial to right gable end. 2 storeys and gable-lit attic with stepped cornice to raised eaves. 2:1:2 bays, centre recessed; 42-paned cast-iron windows with central section only opening (centre hung); centre window and outer windows on both floors formerly blind but now with 30-paned horned glazing bar sashes inserted; all windows with gauged heads and flush keystones. Central entrance; wide early C20 half-glazed door with bracketed flat stone hood, moulded to top. Twin external end stacks to left and right on either side of moulded bullseye window lighting top attic, all with recessed rectangular panels to tops and C19 dentilled capping.
Right rear stack is stepped to bottom and has single-storey C19 addition attached. Two-light chamfered stone mullion windows lighting cellar to left gable end. Interior. Main feature of interest is dog-leg staircase rising from ground floor to top attic with superscription ".W./M.D/1668" to newel on first half-landing. Elaborately carved splat balusters to closed string with pendants and carved finials to newels, which have variety of lozenge shapes, oval-shaped discs, carved hearts and other decoration.
Panelled wall cupboard with H-hinges below stairs to first flight. Timber framed cross walls (square and rectangular panels) and chamfered ceiling beams with variety of chamfer stops throughout to ground and first floors.
Rear right stack on ground floor has inglenook fireplace with richly moulded wooden lintel; wide panelled doors and wide oak floor boards throughout (formerly stone-flagged to ground floor). An unusual feature is the top attic or 'ball room', a room running full length of house with no division and lit by bullseye windows to each end. Has tops of 4 truncated curved principals visible. These are more clearly visible in attic and are probably contemporary with the building of the house, although the truncated tops are probably the result of the raising of the eaves in early C19.
Several reused timbers elsewhere in house. Brick-walled cellars. There are said formerly to have been dormers to front and the house may originally have been gable fronted. Although several of the balusters have been replaced, especially to the upper flights, the staircase is a fine dated example of a type usually found somewhat earlier. Alcock (1981), p. 144.
Listing NGR: SJ3394437050
© Mr Les White. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: White, Les
Rights Holder: White, Les
Brick, Slate, Stone, Timber, Stuart Farmhouse, Domestic, Agricultural Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Timber Framed House, Monument (By Form), Timber Framed Building, Building, Unassigned