This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TR 26 SW PRESTON COURT LANE
(South Side) 1/175 Church of 11.10.63 St. Mildred
Parish Church. Early C13, remodelled and extended C14. Restored 1857 by William White. Flint and rubble stone with plain tiled roof. Chancel and north chapel, nave and aisles, west tower and north porch. Two stage west tower with C19 pyramidal cap; lancets, and angle roll western doorway. Two C14 3 light dormer windows in nave roof to north and south. Two-light cusped ogee-headed windows in aisles, blocked at insertion of dormers (1857).
Ogee headed and cusped lancets in south aisle and chancel. C19 lancets in chancel, C14 chapel, separately roofed, with 3 light Y-traceried east window and trefoil-headed lights with ogee-trefoil tracery. C19 north porch with saw-tooth moulded doorway. Interior: tower arch with simple chamfer on abaci, north arcade of 3 bays, with simple chamfered arches. South arcade of C14 date, double chamfered arches dying into tall square piers with stop chamfered edges. Roof of 3 crown-posts. Early C13 chancel arch slightly chamfered on moulded and undercut abaci. Shafted reveal to C19 lancets.
North chapel, with C13 arch to north aisle, but C14 in form, double chamfered arch on round responds to chancel, restored trussed rafter roof, with door and chamfered recess at north west corner. Fireplace in north-east of chapel a remnant of its use as schoolroom. Shouldered piscine in chapel, simple, shelved piscina in chancel, and trecusped ogee-headed piscina in south aisle.
Stained glass. C14 fragments in window heads in chapel, oak and vine leaves.
Royal Arms over tower arch. Dated 1709. Monument: Henry Waddal, d.1729.
White marble wall plaque in chancel with wreath over and standing on a base with cartouche. Parochial Library: in south aisle a cupboard with door of 2 raised and fielded panels, painted with inscription: Dr. Bray's Parochial Library Dr. Bray (1656-1730) was For the use of the Vicars of Preston.
founder of the S.P.C.K. in 1710. The library was 1 of only 10 in Kent, and the only one to survive in the Parish's hands (41 of original 67 books). See Arch. Cant. 99, 1983. (See BOE Kent II 1983 418).
Listing NGR: TR2468360650
© Mr Martin Poole. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Poole, Martin
Rights Holder: Poole, Martin
Flint, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Chapel, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Library, Education, Recreational, Art And Education Venue, Schoolroom
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.