This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 93 SE TEFFONT TEFFONT EVIAS (east side)
1/168 Church of St. Michael and All Angels
6.1.66 (formerly listed as Church, dedication unknown)
Anglican parish church. C16, C17, rebuilt 1824-26 by Charles Fowler for John Mayne of Teffont Manor (q.v.). Rubble stone, Welsh slate roof, fishscale tiles to aisle and chapel. Consists of nave, C19 north aisle, north west tower with spire, chancel, north chapel of 1630, south vestry, south porch. Gabled C19 porch has pointed doorway with square hoodmould, heraldic arms of Maynes and date 1824, saddleback coped verges with kneelers and pinnacles. South side of nave has 2-light pointed window with Y-tracery either side of porch, diagonal buttresses and coped verges with pinnacles.
Gabled south vestry of 1824 has 2-light Perpendicular-style window, coped verges to roof. Chancel has pointed priests door with hoodmould, offset buttresses, east end has 3-light pointed window with hoodmould with carved head terminals, battlemented parapet.
North Ley chapel has two 3-light Perpendicular windows with hoodmoulds, battlemented parapet with lead initials ML/1630 (Matthew Ley) and stone griffins holding shields. North aisle has three 2-light Perpendicular-style windows with scrolled terminals to hoodmoulds. Three-stage north west tower has setback buttresses and string courses, first stage has hollow-chamfered west doorway and 2-light window to south, second stage has pointed window with quatrefoil pierced louvres, bellstage has pair of pointed windows with quatrefoil-pierced louvres, parapet with quatrefoils and corner spirelets, recessed spire with 2-light gablet to each face.
Three-sided stair turret with loopholes in south-west angle. West end of nave has 3-light geometric-style window recessed between buttresses of former belfrey, wheel window over.
Interior: Double-chamfered inner doorway with blind quatrefoil over, reset C17 and C18 tablets to Davis family in porch. Nave has rib-panelled pointed barrel vaulted ceiling with foliated bosses, flagstone floors, tall pointed west arch with C17 mouldings. Four- bay north aisle has tall pointed arcade on Perpendicular-moulded piers, C19 arch-braced collar roof. Tall pointed chancel arch and arch to Ley Chapel have similar mouldings to arcade. Chancel has similar ceiling to nave, two arches to chapel, two pointed doorways in south wall. Chapel has 3-bay arch-braced collar roof, polychrome tiled floor, C17 panelled partition and gate with cock's head hinges to north aisle, contains good group of tombs with effigies; Henry Ley died 1574 and sons Matthew died 1632 and William died 1624, semi-circular sgraffito panel on east wall by de Triqueti, 1863, marble tablet to Maynes by F. Brown, 1770, slate and stone tablet with arms to Henry Ley, died 1574. Early C19 reredos with blind arcading, pulpit and reader's desk in same style, C17-style bench ends to nave pews, early C19 box pews to sides. Hanoverian arms over south door by J.G. Bubb, 1820. Glass contains reset Medieval glass with C17 pictorial roundels; assembled 1950s.
(N, Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975; Parish Guide, 1975.)
Listing NGR: ST9913631187
© Mrs Anne Thomas. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Thomas, Anne
Rights Holder: Thomas, Anne
Rubble, Stone, Tile, Welsh Slate, Medieval Anglican Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Church, Place Of Worship, Parish Church, Tomb, Funerary Site, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Coat Of Arms
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.