This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ACKWORTH RIGG LANE SE41NE (north side, off) 3/29 Ackworth Grange 25.3.1968 GV II
House. Late C18 or early C19, on earlier site. Coursed squared sandstone, slate roof. Rectangular plan. Two storeys and 3 bays, symmetrical, with full-height bows flanking the centre; central round-headed doorway with double doors, fanlight with radiating glazing bars, and pedimented Tuscan doorcase with mutules to the pediment; above this, a 12-pane sashed window; the flanking bows have tripartite sashed windows on both floors, with flat- faced mullions, 12-pane sashes in the centre and 8-pane sashes at the sides; modillioned cornice and low blocking course; low-pitched hipped roof and side-wall chimneys. Left return wall has 2 windows on each floor, all blind except the upper left, and cornice carried round. Larger service element to rear, earlier than front range and of 3 storeys to same height, and with same cornice continued, has, inter alia, a doorway and 2 windows with arched heads (probably early C19 alterations) and boxed sashed windows on all floors.
Interior: fine cantilevered stone staircase, half-turned with landings, with scrolled soffits to the steps, iron balusters with foliated panels, and ramped handrail with wreathed curtail; 6-panel doors with reeded architraves.
History: known as "Briars Flatts" in late C18, acquired by Roman Catholic Tempest family of Broughton Hall nr. Skipton in 1836, and then known as Ackworth Grange; former Catholic chapel by A. W. Pugin, 1842, demolished 1966. Reference: Kate Taylor, Wakefield District Heritage (Wakefield 1979) Vol II p.78.
Listing NGR: SE4601017469
© Mr David Robson. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Robson, David
Rights Holder: Robson, David
Sandstone, Slate, Georgian House, Victorian Monument (By Form), Domestic, Dwelling, Roman Catholic Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Site, Unassigned, Archaeological Feature
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.