Bradford College Grove Building

Date:
6 Feb 2003
Location:
Bradford College Grove Building, Great Horton Road, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD7 4AA
Reference:
IOE01/10162/02
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

1.

5111 GREAT HORTON ROAD BD7 (south-east side)

Bradford College, Grove Building SE 1532 45/551

II

2. Formerly the Mannville New Connection chapel built in 1877 to the designs of Hill and Swann, a Leeds practice. Large sandstone ashlar chapel with elaborate Italianate- debased neo classical detail. Two-storey 5 bay front raised in semi-basement due to sloping site. Rusticated and panelled quoin pilasters, coupled and single plain pilasters articulating 3 central bays on first floor. Panelled frieze and heavy dentilled cornice. Above centre and supported by large inverted consoles set against parapet is an open pedimented gable with antifixae and anthemion crowning. Flanking bays have balustraded parapet with vase capping to terminal dies. Portico entrance of 6 Composite columns, outer ones as pairs, carrying dentil entablature, set at head of broad flight of steps. Round headed windows pilaster framed on first floor.

Linked to east is a later, circa 19OO, wing with hip domed tower and segmental pedimented oculi dormers of Beaux Arts derivation. Prominent site balancing the Technical College opposite.

Listing NGR: SE1580132768

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0248 IOE Records taken by Peter Briggs; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Peter Briggs. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Briggs, Peter

Rights Holder: Briggs, Peter

Keywords

Ashlar, Sandstone, Victorian Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Methodist Chapel, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Building, Unassigned