This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
5111 CHAPEL STREET BD1 (east side)
No 40 SE 1633 SE 37/356
Dated 1860 warehouse/office block on corner site with Peckover Street designed by Andrews and Pepper. Three-storeys and semi-basement, sandstone "brick" with horizontal V rustication to basement capped by ground floor sill course; sill bands to upper floors; modillion bracket eaves cornice. The corner of block is slightly inset and bowed. Hipped slate roof, large corniced chimney stack. Five windows to Chapel Street, 7 to Peckover Street and one to bowed corner; close set revealed sashes, central glazing bar. Cambered arches to basement with key blocks; cambered arches to ground floor with architrave surrounds. Large semi-circular arched portal similar to adjacent one of No 38 with crest against fanlight and spaced voussoirs.
Important corner site.
Listing NGR: SE1867735932
© Mr J A Lowes. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Lowes, J A
Rights Holder: Lowes, J A
Sandstone, Slate, Victorian Warehouse, Commercial, Office, Unassigned, Building