Hartpury Church Of England Primary School And Attached House

Date:
26 May 2003
Location:
Hartpury Church Of England Primary School And Attached House, Gloucester Road, Hartpury, Forest Of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19 3BT
Reference:
IOE01/10167/22
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SO 72 SE HARTPURY GLOUCESTER ROAD (east side)

8/47 Hartpury C of E Primary School and attached house



II

School and attached house; 1869 date stone, extension late C19, for Rev. W. G. S. Addison by Fulljames and Waller of Gloucester, builder J. Clutterbuck. Squared, coursed blue lias, ashlar to openings, tiled roof. 'L' plan, school wing gable to road, single storey hall, 2-storey house wing on left, 2 rooms deep. Plain plinth to schoolroom gable, 3-light stepped lancets, with transom, plate tracery, hoodmould, with stone voussoirs forming relieving arch. Date carved in windowhead. Half hip above. Chimneys set back on left return. To left lower gable for porch, boarded door up 3 stone steps, trefoil head with quatrefoil over, all within a chamfered 2-centred arch. Carved text above; parapet gable with cross gablet and iron finial to apex. Either side trefoil heads to rain-water outlets, with decorative cast-iron rain-water heads and square pipes. To left boarded door with low pointed arch, entrance to house: above trefoil-headed lancet, steep pyramid roof with bellcast and lead top, small gablets on each face. Wall sets forward to left, 3-light flat headed mullioned window, relieving arch over; 2-light ditto above, with half-hip to gable. Right return to school 4 windows altered in 1960s, retaining original sills and jambs; 4 small gablets in roof over: beyond 2 half-hipped gables, each with 2-light mullion and transom window trefoil heads to lights, relieving arch over.

Internally, entrance to porch; school hall on right subdivided in late C20 and ceiling inserted: feet of arch-braced collar trusses visible, rising from stone corbels. 2 fireplaces, stone surrounds with 2-centred arches, stone mantelshelves. Angle of 'L' largely infilled in C20. School was extended in 1875 and 1893, one extension being second gable on right return. (Copy of contract drawings, D2186/72 at Gloucester C.R.O., and notes from school log book, both kept at School.)

Listing NGR: SO7986023771

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0221 IOE Records taken by Michael J H Bowden; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Michael J. H. Bowden. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Bowden, Michael J. H.

Rights Holder: Bowden, Michael J. H.

Keywords

Ashlar, Lias, Stone, Tile, Victorian House, Monument (By Form), Domestic, Dwelling, Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site, School, Education, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument