This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SO 72 SE RUDFORD RUDFORD VILLAGE
8/220 Church of St. Mary
Parish church; C12, C14, C15, restored 1869-70. Random rubble walls, larger quoins, ashlar dressings: ashlar bellcote: upper part south chancel wall rebuilt in ashlar. Small slates to nave, larger, thin slates to chancel. Nave, chancel, north garden store. West facade: plain plinth, central, boarded door, steep segmental head, plain reveals, nook shafts, scalloped capitals, chevron outer arch, hoodmould. Above 2-light reticulated tracery window. Two round-headed lancets over, with ashlar band across gable above. Gable quoins change colour 3 stones below eaves: eaves appear to have been raised and roof pitch reduced. Parapet gable: Norman-revival bellcote on apex. South facade: boarded door left of centre, moulded cover strips over joints in boarding, strap hinges; flat head, plain semi-circular tympanum. Plain reveals, nook shafts, scalloped capitals, chevron moulding to arch, plain hoodmould off abacus. Round-headed lancet above left. To right 3-light Perpendicular-tracery window, external casement moulding, no hoodmould. Parapet gable on right, cross-gablet apex with stone cross. Chancel lower, set back slightly: trefoil- headed lancet on left, large buttress to right, 2-light window ogee hoodmould with floriate finial. Gable as nave: stone ridge to roof.
Interior: walls plastered, plain string course. Chancel arch scalloped capitals to double responds each side and nook shafts, double roll moulding to soffit of arch, chevron moulding outside.
Roof C19 exposed arch-braced collar rafters. Chancel 2-bay ribbed quadripartite vault off scalloped capitals to responds. Semi- circular headed recess each side in second bay; double piscina in sill of main south window. Plain octagonal stone font, probably medieval floor tiles around base. Small, semi-octagonal pine pulpit: iron candle holder on spike. Pendant brass light fitting in 3 layers on chains in nave, 8 candles: similar, with 6 in chancel. Before restoration had a tower and western gallery.
(Bigland: Collections for the count of Gloucester, Vol III, 1889; Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1879; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970.)
Listing NGR: SO7797621716
© Mr Michael J. H. Bowden. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Bowden, Michael J. H.
Rights Holder: Bowden, Michael J. H.
Ashlar, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship