This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
DARTMOUTH ROW SE10 1.
4424 (East Side) Church of The Ascension
TQ 3876 9/L3 30.8.54 B 2.
Founded as Dartmouth Chapel 1697. Apse of that date. Body of church 1834.
Multicoloured stock brick with stone dressings, classical style. West front has wide centre bay under pediment, narrower side bays. Stone modillion cornice to pediment and all around eaves. Frieze below. Round window in tympanum. Side windows, and those of 4-bay returns, round-arched with moulded architrave and impost band. Side doors of 6 fielded panels in entablature surround. Similar central door in Doric entablature with triglyph frieze, mutule cornice and pediment on scrolled consoles. Double round arched recess, with keyed architrave and impost string, to door. Small flanking windows, possibly later. Inside, high Gallery at West end.
Segmental arch to lower, segment-vaulted sanctuary with half-domed apse behind round arch resting on Corinthian side screens. Corinthian pilasters and coffered ceiling to apse.
Listing NGR: TQ3841276509
© Mr Richard M. Brown. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Brown, Richard M.
Rights Holder: Brown, Richard M.
Brick, Stone, Stuart Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Church