This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 0835 SILSOE HIGH STREET 13/135 (East Side) 23.1.61 Church of St James
Parish church. Erected 1829-31 on site of medieval chapel of ease belonging to Flitton parish. Architect Thomas Smith of Hertford (later County Surveyor of Bedfordshire). Largely financed by Lord de Grey of Wrest Park. Coursed ironstone with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. C15 style. Chancel, S vestry, nave with clerestory, N and S aisles, W tower. Chancel has 3-light 4-centred arched E window. W tower has 3-light point-arched W window to lower stage.
Elsewhere uniform fenestration of 2-light windows under flat heads. All windows cusped, with moulded dripstones. Embattled parapets throughout. 3- stage tower has octagonal stair-turret to SE angle. Interior: rather plain.
3-bay pointed-arched arcades to nave. Simple timber roofs, that to chancel with 4 carved angels.
Listing NGR: TL0825335591
© Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Wharton, Derek E.
Rights Holder: Wharton, Derek E.
Ashlar, Ironstone, Slate, Medieval Chapel Of Ease, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Chapel, Place Of Worship, Parish Church, Church