This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
1260 HENLEY ROAD
Ipswich School TM 1645 7/362
The school was founded in 1400 and the present building was erected in 1852 to the designs of Mr Fleury, an Ipswich architect, Built in the Elizabethan style in red brick, it is a symmetrically composed building with a central block with an octagonal tower, flanking wings and end pavilions. The tower, centre block and end pavilions are marked by octagonal buttresses. The tower and wings have castellated parapets and moulded brick string courses. The end pavilions have a form of Dutch gable. The tower is 4 storeys, the centre block and end pavilions are 3 storeys and the wings are 2 storeys. The windows are casements with mullions and transoms and moulded brick hood moulds.
2 storeyed brick bays with castellated parapets project on the end pavilions.
A central porch projects at the foot of the tower and gabled porches project in the centre of each wing. Roof tiled, with groups of shafted chimney stacks.
Ipswich School and the Chapel form a group.
Listing NGR: TM1612045365
© Mr Stuart Grimwade. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Grimwade, Stuart
Rights Holder: Grimwade, Stuart
Brick, Tile, Medieval School, Education