This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TG5207SW SOUTH QUAY 839-1/15/178 (North East side) 27/06/53 No.25
Marked 'Surgery' on OS map. House dated 1644, partly remodelled late C18 (probably 1772), converted to offices C20. Red brick with decorative burnt headers. Slate to front roof, pantiled to rear roof, slate in valley between. 2 parallel ranges. EXTERIOR: facade of 3 storeys in 4 irregular bays. 5-window range in all. Rendered and colourwashed ground floor with a 6-panelled door set left of centre. Doorcase has a pair of engaged fluted columns supporting block entablatures, between which is a reeded frieze. One C20 horned sash to left and 2 to right, none with glazing bars. Upper floors have brick laid in Flemish bond and a zig-zag pattern of burnt headers. Four C20 sashes to each floor without glazing bars, all with rendered surrounds. A small additional sash is to right of first floor.
Modillion eaves cornice below a gabled roof. Internal gable-end stacks to north and south. Rebuilt south gable head.
South gable with an C18 sliding 4/4 sash and a mid C17 2-light mullioned window. Rear block is a separate parallel range in 2 storeys and dormer attic. Originally the elevation had a central door with a wide mullioned window right and left to each floor, all 4 under moulded brick pediments. Pediments remain but the C17 windows replaced with pairs of 2/2 horned sashes. Panelled door under a C20 gabled porch hood. Above is a date plaque with coat of arms and date 1644 with initials G and S surmounted by an E. Brick has diaper patterns of burnt headers and an irregular bond. Ovolo-moulded eaves cornice. Gabled roof with a sloping C20 dormer and internal gable-end stacks right and left. To left is a lead water hopper and down-pipe with the date 1772 and initials A A under a T. North return with a mid C20 extension in which has been re-set an original entrance: C20 replica door; C17 surround with wave and ovolo-moulded jambs and lintel, the mouldings separated by a keel; base stops with triple fluting, a floriated bar and an acanthus leaf-stop. Above is the date 1644 in a strapwork field. INTERIOR: first and second floors contiguous with No.26 (qv) to south. Late C18 stick-baluster staircase with a turned and reeded lower newel and plain turned upper newels. Ground floor: front and rear rooms with bridging beams bearing double ovolo mouldings. One in each of the two rear rooms have
fluted stops. Remains of mid C17 small-frame panelling to ground floor. First floor: rear south room with complete mid C17 small-framed panelling except for large-framed panelling added late C18 to overmantel. All 3 rear rooms with bridging beams with double roll mouldings. Front room altered C20. Roof of front range of principals, 2 tiers of taper-tenoned butt purlins, and arched windbraces to west side. Rear roof of 5 bays of upper crucks, surviving only to east side. Door into this roof is mid C17, hung on 2 peg and strap hinges and within a chamfered surround.
Listing NGR: TG5243807190
© Mr David N. Gifford. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Gifford, David N.
Rights Holder: Gifford, David N.
Brick, Pantile, Slate, Stuart House, Monument (By Form), Domestic, Dwelling, Office, Unassigned, Building