This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WELL MAIN STREET SE 28 SE (north side, off) 5/42 The Hall (formerly listed as Well 5.5.52 Hall)
House. Early C14, C17 and c18. Rubblestone and ashlar, rendered with graduated stone slate roof. Plan: to left, original C14 hall house with vaulted undercroft, of 3 storeys, 2 bays by 3 bays; set back to right C18 three-storey, 4-bay wing. Quoins. To left-hand bay of C18 wing a 6-panel door with 2 top panels glazed. Bay to right and to far right have tripartite sashes with central 4-pane sashes. Above to these bays are sashes with glazing bars and above again are 6-pane sashes. Bay above door and to left of right bay have blind openings to each floor. 2 ridge stacks and end stack to right. Medieval house has two 16-pane 2-light side-sliding sashes to ground floor. First floor has 2 tall sashes with glazing bars and Gothick pointed-arched heads set in original C14 pointed-arched openings with continuous hoodmould. Second floor: central side-sliding sash with glazing bars. Hipped roof, side wall stack. Rear: medieval hall has deep moulded first-floor string course. To side is a thin blind chamfered rectangular opening to rear staircase. Interior: C18 wing has early C18 dogleg staircase with thick turned balusters, up to attic storey, probably reset. Medieval wing has 3-bay vaulted undercroft with chamfered ribs supported on round piers with octagonal capitals and moulded corbels.
Moulded 4-centred arched fireplace to north. To east end is a tunnel between end wall and outside wall. This supports a staircase above, possibly original to the building. On the first floor C18 rooms were inserted where the large hall was. In the third storey can be seen the heads of the two C13 windows. On the wall of the right return can be seen a blocked C13 window similar to the other two but complete with its central mullion and tracery in the head of the window. The roof trusses to this part are C17. The hall probably dates from 1342, when a Hospital of St Richard was founded at Well. It was probably housed in the building until the present almshouses were built in 1758.
Listing NGR: SE2676382015
© Mr K. Paver. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Paver, K.
Rights Holder: Paver, K.
Ashlar, Render, Rubble, Stone, Medieval Hall House, Monument (By Form), House, Domestic, Dwelling, Undercroft, Unassigned, Building Component, Building, Almshouse, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Residential Building, Hospital
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.