This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SK 86 NW MARNHAM CHURCH LANE Low Marnham (south side)
6/37 Church of 1.2.67 St. Wilfrid
Parish church, now redundant. C13, C14, C15, C19, restored 1846.
Dressed coursed rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs. Buttressed.
Plinth to all but the south aisle. Tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, north chapel and chancel. Diagonally buttressed 2 stage tower with moulded plinth band and bands. 2 remaining crocketed pinnacles to the once embattled parapet with 2 gargoyles to the north and south sides. Arched 3 light west window with cusping and hood mould. In the belfry are 4 arched openings each with 2 lights and a hood mould. There are 3 small rectangular stair lights and single clock faces to the north, south and west sides. The west wall of the north aisle has a single arched C14 3 light window with cusped curvilinear tracery and hood mould. The diagonally buttressed north aisle has 5 qargoyles and 4 C15 3 light windows under flat arches and with moulded surrounds. Between the western most pair is a 4 centred C15 arched doorway with moulded surround and wooden door. The east wall of the north chapel has a single similar 3 light window. The C15 clerestorey has a single traceried window with 3 cusped lights under a flat arch. To the left are 3 windows each with 3 arched lights under a flat arch. There are 5 gargoyles.
The diagonally buttressed east end has a heavy moulded plinth band with a string course running over which extends around the north and south sides. There are 2 gargoyles. The arched 3 light window has cusped panel tracery and a hood mould. The south chancel wall has a single arched and traceried 2 light window with cusping. To the left is a C19 doorway and further left a single C14 window with 2 cusped lights and single transom under a flat arch with hood mould and decorated label stops over.
The east wall of the south aisle has a single C14 3 light arched, traceried and cusped window with hood mould. Running under is a string course which extends around the south wall. The gabled angle buttresses of the south aisle are decorated with blind tracery. There is a single C15 3 light traceried and cusped window under a flat arch with hood mould over. To the left is the C19 porch with single ridge cross and entrance with slim columns and moulded capitals supporting the moulded arch with hood mould and head label stops over. The inner C14 ogee arched doorway with heavily moulded surround has a C19 hood mould and head label stops. Left of the porch is a single similar C15 2 light window. There are 2 gargoyles. The west wall has a single arched and cusped light. The clerestorey corresponds to the north. Interior. 3 bay C13 nave arcades. The south arcade columns have octagonal cores surrounded by 4 detached shafts.
The capitals are decorated with crocket and other leaves, those of the east and west have plain moulded capitals, and support double chamnfered arches with hood mould and label stops to the north side. The north arcade has round columns and keeled responds all with moulded capitals supporting double chamfered arches with hood mould and label stops over to north and south sides. The C13 double chamfered chancel arch is supported on keeled columns with moulded capitals and has a hood mould over.
The inner arch of the double chamfered tower arch is supported on corbels. The 2 bay C13 chancel north chapel arcade has a single column with half octagonal core surrounded by 4 detached shafts.
The capitals are decorated with crocket and other leaves. The circular responds have moulded capitals. These support double chamfered arches with hood moulds to north and south. The south chancelwall has a chamfered arched tomb recess with hood mould over. The south wall of the south aisle has an arched and cuspedpiscina and a moulded arched aumbry. In the north west corner of the nave wall is a small carved head. The chancel roof is supported on C19 corbels. In the south chancel is a monument to Ann Cartwright, 1804, and a further monument to Catharine Cartwright, 1799, decorated with an urn on the crown and a crest on the apron. The north nave wall has a monument to Mary Owtram, 1778. The south aisle wall has a fine and elaborate monument to Edm. Nicholson, 1693, decorated with cherubs and urn on the crown and crest and skull on the apron. The tablet is flanked by carved drapery. A further fine monument to William Cartwright, 1748, is decorated with an urn on the crown and flora and crest on the apron. The north aisle wall has remnants of a fine C17 monument decorated with 2 skulls on the apron. There are several C18 and C19 floor slabs, some to the Cartwright family. In the north aisle is a hatchment dated 1749 and a fragment of C15 stained glass depic ting a saint.
Listing NGR: SK8067869393
© Mr Terence G. Onyon. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Onyon, Terence G.
Rights Holder: Onyon, Terence G.
Ashlar, Rubble, Slate, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Grave Slab, Grave Marker, Funerary Site
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.