This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
PAULL TOWN END ROAD TA 12 NE (south side) 3/14 The Old Lighthouse and adjoining Keepers' Houses
GV II Lighthouse, adjoining keeper's house to south and later adjoining keeper's house to east, now house. Lighthouse of 1836 by Francis Dales for Trinity House, with later C19 keepers' houses. Stuccoed brick. Welsh slate roofs to houses. Plan: round lighthouse tower with single-room house to south, and entrance annexe and 2-room house to east. 3-storey tapered round tower with 2-storey, single-bay house to right, facing riverbank, and single- storey, single-bay annexe to 2-storey, 2-bay house to left, alongside Town End Road. Tower: pairs of recessed 12-pane sliding sashes to ground and first floors with projecting sills. Recessed plaque at first-floor level inscribed: THIS LIGHTHOUSE WAS BUILT 1836 BY THE TRINITY HOUSE OF KINGSTON UPON HULL WILLIAM COLLINSON) WARDEN GEORGE HALL )
Top floor has plain brackets supporting flagstone balcony with plain wrought-iron railings, recessed 4-panel door, and wide 24-pane west-facing window. Plain dome with flat-topped cylindrical ventilator. Adjoining range to right has plinth, single 16-pane sashes to each floor with sills, stepped eaves, bracketed wooden gutter, end stack. Straight joint with range to right (Nos 1-3 Anson Villas) which are not included in the listing.
Range to left: annexe has steps with plain wrought-iron railings to panelled door with 12-pane casement to right; house has 12-pane ground-floor sashes in chamfered reveals with projecting moulded sills, half dormers with unequal 9-pane sashes in similar surrounds beneath coped gables with shaped kneelers. Moulded exposed rafter ends. Ridged coping to gables with moulded octagonal finials and shaped kneelers. Central ridge stack of 4 diagonal shafts with stepped cornices and square pots. Interior of tower has blocked ground-floor door to south range, inserted C19 staircase to original flagged first floor containing former entrance hatch, hatch to lantern chamber with wrought-iron balustrade of plain bars and fluted principals, wrought-iron ribs to dome. One of the series of Humber Estuary lights which included lighthouses at Spurn Point, Easington parish (qv) and South Killingholme (qv) on the south bank, where Dales also designed the South Low Light for Trinity House in 1836. Ceased operation in 1870 when it was replaced by lights at Thorngumbald Clough (qv) and Salt End, Preston.
D Hague and R Christie, Lighthouses: their architecture, history and archaeology, 1975, p 217; D Jackson, Lighthouses of England and Wales, 1975, p l05; Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, p 114.
Listing NGR: TA1661326172
© Mr Brian Harris. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Harris, Brian
Rights Holder: Harris, Brian
Brick, Stone, Stucco, Welsh Slate, Wrought Iron, Georgian Lightkeepers House, Victorian Domestic, Maritime House, House, Dwelling, Transport Workers House, Lighthouse, Maritime, Navigation Aid, Communications, Signalling Structure
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.