This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
PAULL THORNGUMBALD ROAD TA 12 SE (south-west side, off)
6/11 Thorngumbald Clough High Lighthouse
GV II Lighthouse. 1870 for Trinity House. Brick and ashlar base; tower with rivetted wrought-iron frame, casing and balcony; painted red. Drum-shaped base approximately 1 metre high, with rough-faced ashlar top carrying slender tapered round lighthouse tower of 3 stages, overall height approximately 12 metres. Tall first stage: open framework with 8 vertical ribs linked by 6 horizontal bands and a series of inner tension rods bolted to small central hoops. Iron ladder to half-balcony supporting a short ladder up to entrance hatch to second stage with rivetted outer casing.
Upper stage has angle struts supporting balcony with plain railings, small door with strap hinges to south, projecting rectangular window to north.
Gutter, domed cap with cylindrical ventilator. One of the series of Humber Estuary Lights which included lighthouses at Spurn Point, Easington parish (qv) and South Killingholme (qv), on the south bank. Together with the neighbouring Low Lighthouse to the north (qv), and others at Salt End (now removed), it replaced the lighthouse at Town End Road, Paull (qv). An unusual and innovative design. Still in operation. D Jackson, Lighthouses of England and Wales, 1975, p 105.
Listing NGR: TA1721824979
© Mr Brian Harris. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Harris, Brian
Rights Holder: Harris, Brian
Ashlar, Brick, Wrought Iron, Victorian Lighthouse, Maritime, Navigation Aid, Communications, Signalling Structure