This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TA 3008 NE CLEETHORPES ST PETER'S AVENUE (west side) 8/24 Church of St Peter 17/9/80
Parish church. 1864 by James Fowler of Louth. C20 addition to west end. Rock-faced sandstone ashlar with Ancaster limestone dressings; painted brick interior with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. Gothic Revival style. Aligned north-east - south-west. 4-bay aisled nave with south porch, single-bay chancel with single-bay organ chamber/chapel adjoining to south, tower and vestry adjoining to north. Chamfered plinth, angle buttresses and buttresses between bays, sill string-course throughout. Nave: aisles have segmental-pointed 3-light windows to north and south; foiled round windows to clerestory. West end has buttresses flanking central section with pointed 3-light traceried window with quatrefoiled oculus above, pointed 2-light window to north aisle. Porch: pointed moulded outer arch with hoodmould and foliate stops, pointed chamfered inner arch with hoodmould and plain stops, scissor-braced open rafter roof. Chancel: pointed 2-light south window, pointed 3-light east window with foiled roundel above; 1914-18 war memorial plaque inserted in east wall recording church bells and churchyard cross. Organ chamber/chapel: pointed 2-light south window with blind slit in gable above. 3-stage tower has chamfered and moulded plinth, string-courses between stages, full-height diagonal buttresses, and staircase projection in north-east angle. First stage has chamfered shouldered-arched north door, pointed 2-light east window. Second stage has plain slit light with pointed relieving arch. Top stage has pointed single-light belfry openings, clockface to east, moulded string-course, angle gargoyles, coped embattled parapet. Single-storey vestry in north-east angle has 3-light trefoiled east window, plain coped parapet.
All windows with Gothic Revival tracery, hoodmoulds and stops, those to tower carved. Coped gables with shaped kneelers, carved open work finials, crested ridge tiles throughout. Interior. Nave arcades of pointed brick arches of 2 orders, with plain inner orders of banded ashlar and brick, outer orders with moulded brick nailhead arrises, and ashlar hoodmoulds with carved foliate stops. Cylindrical ashlar piers and plain quoined responds with ornate carved foliate capitals and moulded bases on tall plinths. Tall pointed chancel arch with similar brick and ashlar details, on responds with paired shafts with foliate capitals and mid shaft-rings. Segmental-pointed hollow-chamfered west door. North aisle has pointed east arch with nailhead moulding and hoodmould. South aisle has pointed ashlar arch to chapel. Chancel has segmental-pointed double hollow-chamfered arch to organ chamber, a tripartite recess to the north of pointed arches with nailhead moulding and hoodmoulds, on paired shafts with foliate capitals; adjoining vestry door to right with similar blind arch over. Chancel windows and nave west window have chamfered reveals, nailhead moulding and hoodmoulds; quoined surrounds to other windows. Dentilled brick cornice throughout.
Nave and chancel roofs have scissor braces, corbelled wall posts and arch braces to main trusses. Carved ashlar reredos, octagonal font with ornate carved panels, C19 pews. Became a parish church in 1889. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 217; C Ekberg, The Book of Cleethorpes, 1986, p 44;The Story of Old Clee Church and St Peter's Church, Cleethorpes, 1949, pp 32-34.
Listing NGR: TA3054408614