This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
PENISTONE HARTCLIFF ROAD SE20SW (north side) 3/19 Greyhound stone approx. 300 metres east of junction with Hartcliff Hill Road
Boundary marker. Date uncertain but probably medieval. Sandstone post.
Rectangular with elliptical panel with bas-relief of a running greyhound.
Above, later inscribed initials 'M W P'.
The stone is mentioned in accounts of the boundaries of the parish of Thurlstone in the time of Henry VIII and of Langsett in 1695. It is mentioned in the Enclosure Act of 1814 relating to the parishes of Penistone, Langsett and Thurlstone. It is thought to mark the boundaries of William Payne and Lord Melbourne, the former purchasing the manor of Langsett from Lord Melbourne in 1814. It has been suggested (Dransfield) that the initials 'M W P' refer to these names and were added at this time. In 1984 the stone was moved back to its original site, according to the 1814 documents.
The stone is on the boundary of the parishes of Penistone and Langsett.
J. H. Dransfield, Historv of Penistane, 1906.
Listing NGR: SE2257901695
© Mrs Barbara A West. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: West, Barbara A
Rights Holder: West, Barbara A
Sandstone, Medieval Boundary Marker, Tudor Monument (By Form), Elizabethan Boundary