This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
PENISTONE HIGH BANKS LANE SE 20 SW (south-west side), Thurstone
3/97 Milestone approx. 200 - metres south of junction with Royal Moor Road at SE 216040 - - Milestone. Mid C18; Monolithic, flat-topped pillar with weathered faces and partly-obliterated lettering:
on south-east side: "(P)enistone/(1) mile"; on north-east side: "Hudder(s)field)" on north-west side: "Holm/firth/4 miles"
Situated on a packhorse route which ran from Penistone to Meltham and Marsden. A guide stoop further along the route towards Holmfirth has a date of 1761 on it.
This milestone will have been erected after 1738 as miles were indicated only after this date.
(D Hey, Packnen, Carriers and Packhorse Road, 1980)
Listing NGR: SE2160004000
© Mrs Barbara A West. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: West, Barbara A
Rights Holder: West, Barbara A
Stone, Georgian Milestone, Transport, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Street Furniture, Trough, Water Supply And Drainage, Water Storage Site, Agriculture And Subsistence, Signpost, Road Transport Site