This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
5111 HARRIS STREET BD1
28.3.74 Former Sion Chapel SE 1733 35/151 - and Presbytery SE 1633 SE 37/151
Now an Italian Club. Dated 1873, by Lockwood and Mawson for the Baptists.
Contemporary with the architects Town Hall but here employing a rich Italianate classical style. Two-storeys sandstone ashlar, a large rectangular plan chapel extending back along Peckover Street with presbytery occupying far end of site.
1:3:1 bay front. Engaged, richly carved Corinthian portico with central columns and terminal pilasters backed by pilasters, deep entablature and modillion bracketed pediment with acrotaria. The entablature is carried over one window slightly recessed flanking bays with giant Corinthian quoin pilasters. Three panelled doors to portico with broad pilasters supporting entablature at first floor level. First floor windows in shouldered moulded architraves with small pediments and carved apron panels. Carved scrolled lead decoration to circular date panel in tympanum of portico pediment. One bay similar return to Peckover Street and plain sandstone brick side range up to presbytery. This has a 2-storey elevation of 7 bays with sill bands and bracketed eaves cornice. Slate roof, corniced chimneys. Recessed sills with apron panels, the reveals carried down to sill band on first floor. Panelled door with rectangular fanlight moulded cornice above on fluted console brackets.
Listing NGR: SE1698833089
© Mr J A Lowes. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Lowes, J A
Rights Holder: Lowes, J A
Ashlar, Sandstone, Slate, Victorian Priests House, Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Baptist Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Club, Recreational