This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 3811 STANSTEAD ABBOTS CAPPELL LANE (east side)
Stanstead Abbots village 13/18 No 9 (The Clock House) 4.12.51
Grammer School, now a house. Circa 1636 for Sir Edward Baish with accommodation for Schoolmaster. Used also for services on Sunday in C17, bell said to be dated 1704, clock and repairs 1788, sold in 1913. Red brick in English-bond, with black diaper pattern in gable and stucco quoins. Old red tiled roof, with gable end (W) to street topped by a weatherboarded square cupola with ogee roof and vane. 2-storeys. Symmetrical arrangement with central door, 3-light casement window over (both have segmental heads and stucco surround) and a large lozenge-shaped clock face with raised surround. On N and S fronts 3-light plastered brick mullioned windows with moulded labels. C18 3- light wooden casements to upper floor. Leaded glazing. The main part was a schoolroom lit by the 2 opposed 3-light windows and originally open to the roof. The W part was originally 2-storeys with the present chimney serving the upper chamber. The schoolroom would have had an open fire (RCHM Typescript). A focal building at the E end of the High Street. (RCHM (1911) 211: Pevsner (1977) 344).
Listing NGR: TL3866111927
© Mr A. Gude. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Gude, A.
Rights Holder: Gude, A.
Brick, Stucco, Tile, Tudor Teachers House, Elizabethan Domestic, Stuart House, Jacobean Dwelling, Grammar School, Education, Secondary School, School, Monument (By Form)