Hayes End Farmhouse, And Cottage Adjoining Hayes End Farmhouse To East / No 3 (Hayes End Manor) No 5 And No 7

20 Mar 2003
Hayes End Farmhouse, And Cottage Adjoining Hayes End Farmhouse To East, Hayes End, South Petherton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA13 5BE
Show all locations
No 3 (Hayes End Manor) No 5 And No 7, 3, 5 And 7 Hayes End, South Petherton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA13 5BE
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search


This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SOUTH PETHERTON CP HAYES END (East side) ST4316 7/106 No 3 (Hayes End Manor) No 5 and No 7 (formerly listed as Hayes End Farmhouse, and Cottage adjoining Hayes End Farmhouse to E.) 19.4.61


Formerly one house, now subdivided into two. C15 origins, mostly C17 and C18 with new wing by J.W. Peters, Ham stone cut and squared, ashlar dressings; west wing has concrete pantiles, replacing thatch, between high stepped coped gables; no 3 has clay pantiled roof with plain gables, and no 7 has clay pantiles with stepped coped east gable having obelisk finial; brick chimney stacks. Quadrangle plan: the west wing C17/C18, mostly no 5, of 2 storeys, 2 bays irregular fenestration. Hollow-chamfer mullioned windows in chamfered recesses; to ground floor of 4, 2, 4, 3 and 3 lights, all with separate labels, and above all 3-light casements of early pattern; all windows rectangular-leaded, with iron-framed opening lights: to lower bay 2 a chamfered cambered-arched doorway with boarded door, with coped gabled open porch having a ball finaal; north gable has a single-light window it ground floor level without label, and square date plaque set high in gable, no longer readable but possibly referring to the raising of the roof in 1760: south gable has a 4-light mullioned window at first floor level: similar window in east gable of no 7; others of C20 pattern, to both no 3 (mostly north and east wings) and no 7 (south wing). The interiors not seen, but reported in the west range are a large fireplace in the north room, with former doorway in recess alongside and 3-bay ceiling; central wide entry with opposing doors and staircase; then a former Hall with 4-unit ceiling having moulded beams and a back window which is of 2-light ovolo-mould mullioned type; the south room has an ogee-mould cambered arched stone fireplace. All six roof trusses are of different patterns, a former post and truss with signs of wattle and daub infill, a jointed cruck, and several others including a totally closed truss of unknown height: some are smoke blackened, and one bay has windbraces. The whole has been interpreted as a hall house of c1500, with floor inserted c1600, and with major C18 reshaping. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, November 1976; VCH, Vol III, l974).

Listing NGR: ST4360716684


This is part of the Series: IOE01/1917 IOE Records taken by John H Sparkes; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England


© Mr John H. Sparkes. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Sparkes, John H.

Rights Holder: Sparkes, John H.


Ashlar, Concrete, Ham Hill Stone, Pantile, Thatch, Tile, Timber, Medieval Cruck House, Tudor Monument (By Form), Timber Framed House, Timber Framed Building, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Hall House, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument