This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST4817 STOKE SUB HAMDON CP EAST STOKE (North side) 7/274 Nos 3, 5, 7 and 9, and front boundary wall - - II Block of 4 cottages. 1910, for the Duchy of Cornwall. Ham stone cut and squared; hipped double Roman clay tiled roofs; brick chimney sticks. H- plan; 2 storeys, 12 bays, in which the pairs of end bays form crosswings. Band course between floors; sash windows, 12-pane below and 9-pane above, with moulded timber cover moulds to sashboxes; single-light small-pane casement windows in returns: between, bays 4/5 and 8/9 are plain doorways with flat stone hoods on simple stone brackets, having boarded doors with 4-section rectangular fanlights over; between upper bays 6/7 a rectangular plaque with the Prince of Wales' feathers and the date 1910. Entrances to Nos. 3 and 9 in end gables, with catching sash windows behind. All downpipes have stackheads with the three feathers cast in. Interiors not seen. About 3 metres south of the houses the boundary walls, cut and squared stone with castellated tops; later C20 timber gates; uniform and adding to the setting of the houses, a well-detailed 'out of town' block which makes an interesting contrast with the pair of houses at 15/17 forth Street, built 3 years later, but in a more sensitive urban setting (q.v).
Listing NGR: ST4807917510
© Mrs Sue Durant. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Durant, Sue
Rights Holder: Durant, Sue
Clay, Ham Hill Stone, Roman Tile, Stone, Timber, 20th Century Estate Cottage, Domestic, House, Dwelling, Gate, Unassigned, Boundary Wall, Monument (By Form), Wall, Barrier, Boundary