Church Of St John Sub Castro

23 Feb 2003
Church Of St John Sub Castro, Abinger Place, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2QA
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search


This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

TQ 4110 SW LEWES ABINGER PLACE 9/2 (north side)

16.3.70 Church of St John sub Castro


Parish church. 1859 by George Cheeseman. Flint with red brick dressings.

Plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave with short chancel. Short tower with castellated turrets. Very large lancet side-windows with unarchaeological tracery divided by thin buttresses. West front with central tower projecting slightly with clasping buttresses and recessed sides, the roof hidden by sloping parapets. Central window with two lights, panelled below with rose above and hoodmould, above pointed arched doorway with doubled boarded doors, overlight and hoodmould. Side windows with two lights, over boarded doors. Doorway from original church, probably C10, attached in wall to east. Unmoulded arch flanked by three demishafts and demirolls. Slab capitals. Remains of chancel arch also, on south side of building with restored inscription which commemorates a certain Magnus of Danish royal stock who chose to become an Anchorite at this place. Interior: Galleries on simple columns on three sides and short apsed chancel. Tie-beam wagon roof. Painting: Christ and the Children, Venetian, circa 1600.

W.H. Godfrey, The Official Guide to Lewes, 1933, revised 1977, 39-40.

B.O.E., Sussex, 1965, 552.

Listing NGR: TQ4146810426


This is part of the Series: IOE01/2174 IOE Records taken by Philip Westwood; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England


© Dr Philip Westwood. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Westwood, Philip

Rights Holder: Westwood, Philip


Brick, Flint, Tile, Georgian Parish Church, Victorian Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship