This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS 62 SE SATTERLEIGH AND WARKLEIGH 4/190 Warkleigh House - GV II
Former rectory, now private dwelling. 1844 by Abbott of Barnstaple. Rendered stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with shaped bargeboards. Apex cross to entrance porch. Rendered stacks with triple shafts with moulded caps.
Plan. Consists of 3 parallel ranges, the rear range recessed slightly to left (garden) side and extending well to the right as service wing. The front ranges are 2 rooms wide with a wide entrance passage which runs axially from the symmetrical 3- bay entrance front including 2-storey entrance porch, through the 3 ranges to the single storey polygonal rear porch. 3 principal rooms to left of the passage, and 2 rooms flanking principal staircase to right side, with service rooms housed in the projecting right-hand section of the rear range. Tudor Gothic style.
2 storeys with attic storey. Symmetrical 3-bay entrance front, asymmetrical garden front. All fenestration intact with transomed windows with diamond latticed glazing pattern and hoodmoulds, French windows to ground floor. Entrance front has a 2- light window above French window to each side of 2-storey entrance porch with 18<4 date plaque above 4-centred arched doorway with heavily moulded surround of double- engaged colonettes. Quatrefoil and mouchette traceried spandrels. Cartouche over inner doorway with inscription Gloria in Excelsis Deo flanking Star of David. Porch has single light window to each floor on each side.
3-gabled garden front, the 2 right-hand gables forming symmetrical composition of two 2-light windows above French windows with single light attic windows in the gable. Recessed gabled bay at left and has a 3-light window'over French windows.
Conservatory extends to left with brick plinth, glazed above, canted bay at the front with Adam style fanlights to the doorway.
Interior. Brief inspection suggested C19 joinery entirely intact. The entrance hall and porch ceilings are plain vaulted.
Warkleigh House was built by William Thorold as a rectory in 1844, close to the old Parsonage (q.v.). His family retained the house on his death in 1888. A new rectory (the present Old Rectory) was subsequently established nearby, with the result that the small settlement of Warkleigh has 3 former parsonages within a short distance of each other.
Listing NGR: SS6554722926
© Dr Ann Allen. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Allen, Ann
Rights Holder: Allen, Ann
Ashlar, Render, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Victorian Vicarage, Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Service Wing, Monument (By Form), Conservatory, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Glasshouse, Garden Building