This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LAXFIELD THE STREET TM 27 SE
9/66 Baptist Chapel -
Baptist chapel. 1810; enlarged 1850; renovated and re-seated 1897. Red brick with white brick facade. First floor brick band. Hipped 2-span roof of glazed black pantiles. 2 storeys. Symmetrical facade. 2 slightly inset bays, each with a flush-frame sash window with small panes. Below are matching doorways, each with 6-panel door, moulded architrave and a good semi- circular fanlight with radiating glazing bars. Tall semi-circular headed window to centre, below which is a tablet commemorating the martydom of John Noyes near this spot in 1557. 3-bay returns, the bays inset, with 2-light casement windows under flat arches. Gallery around 3 sides supported on slender cast iron columns. Most of gallery benches are original, otherwise seating and pulpit date from 1897.
Listing NGR: TM2936972362
© Mr A. C. A Seinet. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Seinet, A. C. A
Rights Holder: Seinet, A. C. A
Brick, Pantile, Georgian Baptist Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Plaque