This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL3213SW BENGEO STREET, Bengeo 817-1/15/273 (East side) 10/02/50 Warrenfield and Warren Park (Formerly Listed as: BENGEO STREET Nos.2 and 2A Warren Park)
Small country house, subdivided into 2 dwellings. 1880 or earlier with alterations and subdivision in 1970. Red brick Flemish bond, with stucco dressings, Welsh slated roofs. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with 3 storeyed turrets. East elevation has gables with elaborate barge boards left and right. First floor French windows with iron balconies and stucco architraves, 4 mullion and transom windows in recessed centre, 2 with gabled roofs above eaves with elaborate barge boards and with the eaves carried on cut profiled brackets. Ground floor has projecting mullioned and transomed bay windows left and right, the latter partly run across a single bay extension to right. 8 bay loggia in recessed centre, with lean-to Welsh slated roof, and brick piers with foliated capitals and terracotta moulded Tudor arches, with modelled foliated spandrels. Arches with C20 glazed infill. At left is 2 bay by 3-bay 2-storey south wing, with castellated parapeted flat roof, stucco quoins, brick plat band at first-floor level, 2 mullion and transom windows with stucco architrave surrounds. Ground floor with two 6-panel doors, upper 4 glazed, with stucco architraves, and circular lunettes above, with stucco architraves. Return south elevation has 3 narrow transom windows on first floor with stucco surrounds, and three 12-pane sashes on ground floor, recessed in stucco architrave surrounds. West elevation has numerous gables with elaborate barge boards and a 3-storey turret with concave profile lead roll roof left of centre. Former main entrance right of centre has a broad gabled barge board, with a smaller one set behind at left. Below, a tall multi-light mullioned and transom window with semicircular arched inner panel, with leaded lights, small square panels with painted and stained glass shields and roundels, a c1870 flat-roofed canopy and glazed screen on ground floor. Set back at right is the library wing. The gables with elaborate fretted and pierced wooden barge boards, giving a chalet appearance, part flat-roofed with stone coped and castellated parapet. Numerous red brick chimneys with oversailing brick caps, some with semicircular
stone flue baffles in lieu of pots. INTERIOR: elaborate eclectic late Victorian house, Warren Park incorporates the former Library from The Chelsea house of the Bishops of Winchester, close to Oakley Street, demolished 1828, reputedly designed by the architect William Kent (1684-1748). The nearly complete mid C18 panelled room was brought to Hertford c1880. Painted panelled walls with flush dado, above C19 moulded skirting, dado rail with bead moulding and carved acanthus, upper panels recessed with egg-and-dart quadrant moulding; cornice with egg-and-dart band, modillions and cyma recta moulding. Fireplace has purple marble inner surround with raised quadrant eared architrave; outer surround with shell and acanthus band, scrolls with drops and acanthus leaves, pulvinated frieze with dart cornice shelf above. Chimneybreast incorporates elaborate carved frame with eared and shouldered architraves, carved scrollwork above (with a cartouche showing the episcopal arms) and below, and carved swags at each side. The frame contains a late C19 copy of a portrait of the Bishop of Winchester. Window surrounds panelled, with heavy carved egg-and-dart architraves. 3 doors, 6-panel, with carved egg-and-dart quadrant surrounds, upper 4-panels of 2 south (garden) doors glazed. East door (internal) has eared architrave with carved acanthus band, pulvinated frieze with carved oak leaves and cross bands, cornice and pediment above with egg-and-darts, and acanthus mouldings. South doors have architraves without ears, front cornice head above pulvinated frieze, and glazed lunettes in recessed panel above. Ceiling, C19 plaster, with bold modelled oval band of fruit and cross bands moulded spandrel panels. Drawing Room has ribbed moulded plaster Gothic style ceiling, with pendants, and chimneypiece with C19 red marble pilaster surround. These have white marble capitals and central cartouche, moulded cornice shelf, reset C18 upper mirror panel with architrave surround, and carved festoons and drops and drops of fruit in the manner of Grinling Gibbons. Elaborately carved double cyma recta cornice with lower acanthus band. Staircase, reputedly brought from Sanctuary House, Ireland incorporates C18 open string hardwood flights, with carved bracket treads, 2 iron twist column on vase and 1 column on vase baluster to each tread with moulded handrail, ramped to first-floor landing, and C19 square tapered antae newels surmounted by carved lions sejant holding cartouches, landing with C19 arcading with Tudor arches, large mullion and transom window with leaded glass with painted armorial symbols and crests of Smith, Sawyer, Cozens and Clayton families. C19 oak panelled walls.
Listing NGR: TL3236813338