This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
EASTLEACH EASTLEACH TURVILLE SP 1905-2005 13/181 Church of St Andrew 26.1.61 GV I Parish church. C12; C13 north transept, C14 tower. C17 alterations. Random rubble limestone; stone slate roof. Nave with south porch and north transept; west tower and chancel. Fine C12 south doorway with 2 orders of chevrons to round arch, inner chevrons taken down jambs; billeted hoodmould. Carved tympanum depicts Christ in Majesty with 2 angels. Scalloped capitals and pellet ornament to abaci; carved shafts, left with pellet enriched spiral, right with chevrons. C13 parapet gabled porch with square sundial finial; internal stone seats and trefoil-headed east image niche. C14 window with Decorated tracery to left of porch; pointed window to right with central C17 mullion; raking buttress at junction with chancel. Blocked arches of 2-bay north arcade, each with C17 pointed window. North transept has 3-light Decorated window in parapet gabled north end; two C13 lancets to each side. C14 two-stage saddleback tower with 2-light belfry openings having trefoil heads; further opening in apex of west gable. Pilaster buttresses to partially roughcast rendered east end of chancel. Continuous string course rises as hoodmould above Early English triplet window. Blocked pointed archway on north side of chancel (formerly leading to chapel) has one jamb with 2 attached shafts preserved under small lean-to hood; one shaft has crocket capital, carved grotesque head to keeled shaft.
Limeswashed interior. Nave dominated by 3 bay north arcade.
Three-bay king post truss elm nave roof of 1909. Fine Early English chancel arch with clustered shafts and interestingly carved capitals. Contemporary multi-shafted east triplet, also with carved capitals. 1909 three-bay hammer beam chancel roof. Small north aumbry or piscina recess. C18 ledger slabs in chancel to Saunders, Keble and Porter families. Hexagonal timber pulpit with Jacobean panels. Reading desk dated '1632 RC WH'. Lectern with vine trail shaft said to have come from Tewkesbury Abbey. Gothic memorial above tower doorway to Benjamin Boyes, died 1814, by Harvey of Fairford. C14 mortuary recess now concealed by organ in transept has ballflower enrichment to cusped canopy.
(N.M. Herbert, 'Eastleach Turville' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp.
61-69; D. Verey, Cotswold Churches, 1976, and Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SP2020505352
© Mr Anthony Rau. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Rau, Anthony
Rights Holder: Rau, Anthony
Limestone, Roughcast, Rubble, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.