This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SX 79 SE CHERITON BISHOP
10/30 Coach-house approx. 60m north- east of Woodleigh Hall
Coachhouse and stables. 1896-8. Front (facing south-east to road) of snecked Drewsteignton stone and sides and rear of Drewsteignton rubble; all with granite dressings; slate roof. Central 3 storey block, 3 bays long, comprising coach house with accommodation above. Stables with haylofts over along either side under monopitch roofs. On the front the gable end of the central main block breaks forward slightly from the flanking stable ranges. It has chamfered granite quoins and drip courses at each stage. The coping on kneelers rises above the pitched roof with a flat top section surmounted by a wrought-iron weather cock. Large round-headed coach house door at ground level, similar window opening to first and blind window to second floor containing small keyed oculus. Doors with windows over on each side. All openings are round or segmental headed with chamfered quoins and voussoirs with prominent keystones. Original 3-pane paired wood casement with 2-pane fanlight to first floor left. Along each side is an arcade of 6 stable doors with 2 loading bays over and, overlooking the stable roofs, 3 second floor windows to main block. Rear, gable end stack serves the domestic accommodation.
Listing NGR: SX7796793277
© Mr Peter Funnell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Funnell, Peter
Rights Holder: Funnell, Peter
Granite, Rubble, Slate, Victorian Coachmans Cottage, Domestic, Transport Workers House, House, Dwelling, Hayloft, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Stable, Animal Shed, Transport, Coach House, Road Transport Site