This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HORTON SU 00 NW HORTON VILLAGE
5/91 Church of St Welfrida
Parish Church, possibly C12 or C13 in origin but remodelled C18 with restorations of 1869 and c1900. Tower either by or influenced by Vanbrugh who was working at Eastbury at the same time. (See list for Tarrant Gunville). Partly greensand ashlar, partly Flemish bond brickwork, part rendered. Plan: nave, chancel, north transept, north tower. C18 round headed windows with stone keystones and impost blocks. North tower: 2 stages with pyramidal ashlar spire and first floor plat band; modillioned cornice; north clock face; tower contains louvred dormers with pediments. North doorway, with moulded segmental hood and plain pilaster architraves bearing entablature. Interior: C18 semi circular chancel arch with plain responds; nave and transept have C19 semicircular tie beam and king post roofs with braces; C19 barrel vault to chancel; C18 panelled oak box pews; C18 fielded, panelled pulpit on octagonal pedestal with C19 cast iron steps. C18 carved and painted reredos with cherubs heads and irradiated dove; effigies of Sir Giles and Dorothy de Braose, c1300, in transept, various C17 monuments.
Listing NGR: SU0301407444
© Mr Trevor Fenwick. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Fenwick, Trevor
Rights Holder: Fenwick, Trevor
Ashlar, Brick, Render, Sandstone, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative