This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
PIRTON BURGE END LANE TL 13 SW (East side)
1/134 No. 2 9.6.52 (Hammond's Farmhouse)
Farmhouse. Early C16 former open hall house; late C16 W wing; heightened, and rebuilt with E crosswing, stair turret and 2-storeys porch in early C17 probably by John Hammond; repaired c.1900; panelling from upper rooms taken to Rectory Farmhouse in 1930s. Timber frame, exposed on 1st floor with red brick infill, ground floor old red brick (with one course of headers to four of stretchers), old red tile roofs.
An irregular 2-storeys, L-shaped house facing S, with a 3-bays E crosswing projecting to front and gabled porch of equal projection in the angle in line with the large internal chimney built in the old cross-passage and a gabled stair turret at rear. Lower 2-storeys W wing.
S front has 3-light flush casement windows on each floor, original moulded bargeboards with pendants to porch and gable of E wing, 2-lights window to upper floor of porch with 4-centred arched doorway and turned baluster like mullions to window on W side formerly unglazed.
Close-studding in upper floor. Cyma moulded course to top of base to both chimneys but rectangular shaft with corbelled top to main internal chimney, and 3 diagonal square shafts to large chimney projecting on E side of E wing. Large ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed window in rear wall of W wing. Interior has exposed timbers, with symmetrical tension braces and sockets for upper end bench supports in W wall of central room. Inserted ovolo-moulded axial floor beam. 2 panel ovolo-moulded cross-beams in E wing with large plain fireplace probably for kitchen use. Peg-holes in timber lintel to hall fireplace suggest a timber-framed chimney preceded the late C17 brick chimney in the former cross-passage. Elaborate roll moulded axial beams in W wing with lower floor level. Ovolo-moulded 4-centred fireplace with jamb stops to chamber over E wing, which has an arch-braced roof truss with central pendant. Chamber over hall shows long straight braces to the tie-beam, swept-jowled posts and clasped purlins on a collar. Fine closed string stair with square newels, ogee finials, and symmetrical turned balusters. Sun fire insurance mark No. 270506 on LH corner post of porch.(RCHM (1911)164: VCH (1912)45: Pevsner (1977)270: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL1444332288
© Mr Graham R. Heasman. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Heasman, Graham R.
Rights Holder: Heasman, Graham R.
Brick, Tile, Timber, Medieval Farmhouse, Tudor Domestic, Agricultural Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Open Hall House, Monument (By Form), Hall House, Timber Framed House, Timber Framed Building