This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 23 NE GUILDEN MORDEN ICKNIELD WAY (North-west side)
7/133 Stable range and office to north-west of stable yard to Odsey Grange
Stable range and offices, formerly stables with first floor accommodation.
Circa 1705, altered in C19 and C20. Local red brick; plain tiled hipped roof with saw tooth brick eaves cornice and three rebuilt ridge stacks. Two storeys, long south-west, north-east range bounding one side of the original stable yard. Blocked segmental headed archway to left hand with inserted six-panelled door; two archways partly reconstructed with double boarded doors; seven ground floor C20 casement windows and one early C18 casement window with leaded lights and wooden lintel. Seven first floor twenty-paned hung sash windows with near flush-frames. Interior: the first floor accommodation was possibly intended for jockeys and grooms; ground floor fittings C19 with C20 garage. C20 office conversion to right hand. The stables were part of the racing establishment owned by the Second and Third Dukes of Devonshire, the jockey house now Odsey Grange and stables were possibly those 'newly erected for race-horses' by Thos. Fountaine and John Duckett of Lincoln's Inn before 1705 and the sale of the property to Robert Chester.
RCHM Report 1950 Fordham, G: The Hundred and Manor of Odsey VCH Vol VIII p97
Listing NGR: TL2948438035
© Mr Peter Tree. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Tree, Peter
Rights Holder: Tree, Peter
Brick, Tile, Stuart Stable, Georgian Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Transport, Residential Building, Domestic, Garage, Road Transport Site, Office, Unassigned, Building