Landguard Manor

26 Jun 2003
Landguard Manor, Landguard Manor Road, Shanklin, Isle Of Wight, PO37 7JB
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search


This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

The following building shall be added:-

SHANKLIN LANDGUARD MANOR SZ58SE ROAD 1352-0/4/10003 (East side) Landguard Manor II

Country house, later used as hotel. Circa mid C18, extended and remodelled in 1878 for Colonel H. Atherley and again in 1906. Random stone rubble with freestone dressings; south range has Flemish bond red brick front and ashlar gable ends; 1906 wing is of ashlar. Plain clay tile roof with stone coped gable ends. Stone axial stacks with grouped diagonal shafts. PLAN: The south garden front range is the C18 house with a central entrance. In 1878 the house was greatly enlarged by a large Jacobethan style range on the north with its main entrance on the east side and extensive service wings to the north. Remodelled in 1906 when the central atrium-like hall and staircase were installed and a guest wing was built on the west side.

INTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical east front, gabled to left and right, the left the C18 gable-end of the C18 range with blind windows and stone in gable inscribed H.A.1878, two projecting gables on right and service wings beyond that, to right [north]; moulded stone mullion-transom windows; doorway to left of centre with large ashlar porch in the form a triumphal arch. C18 brick south front has platband and stone quoins; 2:1:2 bays, ground floor 4-pane sashes with flat arches, first floor 12-pane sashes with cambered arches, central doorway now a 4-pane sash window. On west side the ashlar 1906 wing with symmetrical south front with moulded stone cornice, arcaded loggia flanked by oculae and four sashes above with nowy-headed tablet at centre inscribed H.A.E. AD 1906; gabled at rear. INTERIOR is largely the result of the 1906 remodelling with much Neo-Georgian joinery; the principal feature, the galleried atrium-like central hall with its two tiers of colonnades, Tuscan and above Composite and a broad open-well staircase with a heavy balustrade. The two south rooms have circa early C20 marble chimneypieces. Various carved wood chimneypieces, one in former billiard room with overmantel flanked by twisted balusters, probably re-used from the staircase of the C18.

The 1906 wing has some bolection moulded joinery and an axial corridor on the first floor with a plaster barrel vault. HISTORY: Landguard is mentioned in The Domesday Book. Queen Victoria is reputed to have visited the Atherleys at Landguard, when she was staying at Osborne.

Listing NGR: SZ5796582411


This is part of the Series: IOE01/0461 IOE Records taken by A B Cooke; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England


© Mr A. B. Cooke. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cooke, A. B.

Rights Holder: Cooke, A. B.


Ashlar, Brick, Clay, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Georgian Counting House, Domestic, House, Dwelling, Service Wing, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Hostel, Commercial, Residential Building